Thursday, December 11, 2008

Don't worry, be happy...

The holiday season is here and I am beginning to feel the homesickness kicking in, and starting to ask myself why I came here, so far away from the people I love. It doesn't help when the closest thing I have to remind me of home is Starbucks. But as much as I miss you all, I know this experience is worth it, so I'm just keeping my chin up and reminding myself of the things that make me smile in Korea. Here are a few...

Things in Korea that Make Me Smile:

*When my principle says to me everyday at lunch, "Oh, Laura, nice to meet you."
*Being 10 minutes away from a beautiful mountain.
*Stumbling upon random temples in the woods.
*When my students pet me and say "Oh teacha, so beauteeful."
*When my favorite student runs in the room, hugs me and says "I LOVE YOU LAURA!"
*When my coteachers says to a student "Take off your clothes!" because he's hot from playing outside.
*Singing 80's ballads at norebang (karaoke) while drinking beer and eating dried squid.
*How all of the boys at school are obsessed with saying, "Fire in the hole!"
* Kimchi!
*Random English signs (see pic)
*Giant hula hoops (see pic)
*Randomly being invited to a picnic by a group of older Korean folks while strolling through the park.
*Being fed by the older korean folks at their picnic and being forced to drink homemade korean whiskey.
*Korean babies...so freaking cute.
*Korean hikers, they get all dressed up and take it very seriously, hilarious.
*Sitting on my warm heated floor...until it burns my tooshie!
*An 8 year old who doesn't know that his shirt says, "Shit Happens When You Party Naked."
*The secretary at my school who doesn't know that her shirt says, "Add Vodka and Stir."
*Last minute weekend getaways, and a bus ride that only costs $7 round trip!
*Finding ways to remember korean words like delicious (masheeshayo)..."my-sister-yo"
*Getting beer for $3, a cab ride for $4, and a t-shirt for $5!
* Planning for my upcoming trips to Japan and Thailand!
*Having my own apartment, meeting new people, and having the freedom to travel to the places I've always dreamed.



Norebang!!!


Being fed at a Korean picnic


The "I love you, Laura" girls

I live by this beach :)


Weekend getaways...always an adventure!


They didn't even try to use English on this sign


Stumbled upon a temple in the woods


MJ, my co-worker, with a giant hula hoop


making new friends!


a contemplative moment


Hanging out with the hikers...I fit right in!




Another thing that makes me smile is this video called "Where the Hell is Matt?"...you may have already heard him because he's gotten a lot of press lately. Anyway, this video inspires me to travel and reminds me that no matter where you are in the world you can always find a way to be happy and spread the love. WATCH IT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBZQ1G5RBA4



No comments: