Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Tales from Korean Kids

Sorry it's been a while since I've done an update. It's been a bit of a crazy month. Since returning from Japan, I have been teaching English Camp on my own for three weeks. English camp is during the winter vacation and its kind of like summer school, only more fun and all about english. So, I would see 4 different groups of 8 students a day and I would play games, do activities and discuss the stories they were reading on the computer program they use. The whole point was to use story telling to get the children reading, writing, and most importantly speaking English. Anyway, it has been fun but a lot of work because I have to come up with my own lesson without any curriculum or text book every day. Add to that that I'm leaving for Thailand tomorrow, and its been a little bit a stressful week! Actually, Sarah is already on the plane making her way there, so it definitely feels real now. In two days, I'll be in the sun and heat of Bangkok.

So instead of thinking of something to write and talk about, I thought I would just put up some of the stories my 5th and 6th grade students have written in my class. They are actually pretty clever and I'm proud because their English has come a long way. Here's three that I like the most...as you'll see these kids love drama!

"Two Dragons"
Once upon a time there was a good dragon and a bad dragon that lived in a cave. The bad dragon ate all of the people, but the good dragon helped all of the people. One day the bad dragon and the good dragon were fighting because they both wanted a cake. The cake looked delicious. The bad dragon won. So he ate the cake, but it was very very very hot. So he was dead. All of the people and the good dragon were very happy.

"Elephant Hero"
Once upon a time there was a lion and a tiger that lived in a cave. The tiger was very sleepy and hungry. So he told a lie to the lion that he was very sick. The lion went out to the jungle to the other animals. The lion asked the other animals for help. The other animals went to the cave to help the tiger. But the tiger wasn't sick. He was lying. He was hungry so he ate all of the animals. Then one day, the elephant heard about the tigers lie and he was very angry. He went to the cave and the tiger was asleep. The elephant sat on the tiger and killed him. THE END.

"The Opposite Frog"
Once upon a time, there was a mother frog and a son frog. The son frog was very bad. He always did the opposite of what he was told to do. Then one day the mother frog was very sick and dying. She wanted to be buried in the mountains, but she thought her son would do the opposite. So she told her son she wanted to be buried in the river. The son was very sorry to his mother because he thought he made her sick so he didn't do the opposite. The son buried his mother in the river. Now on rainy days, the frogs all cry because they think the mother's body is washing away.

...deep stuff, I know.

No comments: