Sunday, April 19, 2009

My new Korean loves...

Spring is here and love is in the air. Yes, I am officially in love. With about ninety people. Ninety wonderful, tiny, Asian people.

Two weeks ago a bunch of us found out about the opportunity to volunteer at an orphanage in Busan and we were really excited to actually do some volunteering here in Korea. The orphanage just happens to be right up the street from my school. It is run by a nice old couple and their children, and they house 90 orphans from the age of one month to five years old.

I was a little nervous going for the first time because I didn't know exactly what I was going to experience. Would it be sad to see the children? Would they be well cared for? Would the adults be receptive to foreigners coming for two hours (the limit for visiting) or would they resent us for not doing more?

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the building and the grounds seemed very bright and happy and the smiling faces of the adults who greeted us told me I didn't have to worry. We met the family and signed in, and then went outside to the playground when we heard the pitter-patter and squeel of about 20 kids coming out to play. The children were mostly three and four years old and they were all dressed in matching red and navy gym suits, and they all (or most) looked very happy. We began playing with the kids and although some were shy or only interested in the shovel and sandbox, they all opened up pretty quickly. I immediately became attached to a beautiful little girl who was clearly part Korean and part Caucasian (I found out her mother was Russian). After a while, half the group took those kids for a walk and some of us went to the nursury to play with the babies. They were also delighted to see us and immediately began climbing all over us. They were just so fun to play with and hold and it really gave me such a sense of euphoria to be around them (don't worry Mom, I don't want any of my own for a long, long time...actually, you were probably getting excited)! Anyway, at the end of the two hours it was dinner time for the babies, and although we were sad to leave them, we knew we had to go and it was the perfect time to leave while they were distracted by yummy rice porridge.



playing outside



the little ones!


she's precious...and loving rice porridge!


Yesterday, I went back for a second time with Lex and Kate and I couldn't wait to see the kids again. When we arrived, we heard that the older kids had gone to the park and we were directed to the babies (yay!). We went to the two year old room and the moment we opened the door, 9 smiling two year olds came running over to us, with arms stretched out wide. The caretakers chose three children and told us to take them outside and play because they are too little to go outside in a group, they need one-on-one attention. When we got outside, I tried to put my little guy, Min Ji, down but he would not let go of me. He immediately began to cry at the thought of having to let go of me and I spent the next hour trying to get him to smile. We realized that they didn't get much one-on-one love and it was something that they craved so much. It made me really sad to realize this. I began to wonder if it was such a good idea to be coming for such short amounts of times and then leaving. I wonder if this could create lasting impressions and perhaps they would grow up to have some form of seperation anxiety.



Why so sad, Min Ji?



this guys always a happy camper


As the morning progressed and we took the kids back in to the nursery, Min Ji relaxed and began laughing and playing and climbing all over me. He was interacting with the other kids and just seemed to be having a really great time. By the end of the two hours, he was sitting against me like a lounge chair and just dozed off, so tuckered out from all of the playing. I had to wake him up for lunch and the caretakers gave us bowls of rice to help feed them. Min ji LOVED the porridge and I told him he was the number one eater of the day, not sure he understood though! Finally, it was time to go and we laid out floor mats for the bigger kids and put the smallest in cribs, shut off the lights and lullaby-ed them to sleep. Once again I left feeling completely happy and re-energized by the presence of such great little humans.

Though it was hard to realize the issues that the orphans will inevitably grow up with due to their unfortunate lack of parents, I learned a valuable lesson; Sometimes it's easier to avoid looking at sad situations, but if you can give just a little bit of your time, you can do something to improve them. Even if you can't do much, do something. These kids need any and all of the love they can get, even if it's not as much as they want or deserve. At least they can count on me to be a consistent visitor for the next four months!




happy Min Ji!




...and tuckered out





post-lunch naptime


look at that hair!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Hi, I think I recognize you from EPIK '08. Anyways, I found your blog searching for volunteering at an orphanage in Busan... is this the one in Dongnae? Do you call ahead and tell them you are coming? What are the visiting hours? I'm having trouble finding this information.

Thanks for you help!
- Rachel

LCurrie711 said...

Hey Rachel,
It's in Onchojong and you can go on Saturdays from 10-12 or 3-5. You don't have to call ahead.

It's kind of hard to explain how to get there, but I'll find out the name in Korean and I'll let you know...email me at LCurrie711@gmail.com and I'll give you all the info!