Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Incredible Cambodia

Wow, I cannot believe I've neglected wrapping up my blog for this long! My sincere apologies, the only excuse I can give is that I'm very focused on getting on to the next chapter in my life! It's been nice to be home in the states (and I'll write a little about that later), but I'm very anxious to get a job and an apartment of my own, so all of my energy has been going towards that. Anyway, more on the later, here is a quick recap of the rest of Cambodia.


After spending five days in lovely but rainy Siem Reap, we caught a bus to the capitol city of Phnom Penh. Though the city didn't stand out as one of the best we'd been, there were some very impressive landmarks such as the ornate Royal Palace.


It also had the best market to explore. Covering at least a square mile of land, the market was full of every kind of souvenir, household item and asian food you could imagine. I especially LOVED trying all of the different types of fruit. Although the dragonfruit pictured above was by far the most impressive looking, it actually tasted similar to a very bland kiwi. My favorite based on taste was surprisingly a familiar fruit with a twist: grilled mini bananas! I can't even begin to describe how wonderful these little things are when grilled on a stick or wrapped in rice and grilled in a banana leaf. My favorite snack of the trip!





Since our brief stop at a shelter in India, we had been wanting to spend more time at an orphanage on our travels. So, when we heard about the Lighthouse Orphanage just outside of Phnom Penh we knew we had to take the time to volunteer.


I was so pleasantly surprised to see how incredibly loved and cared for the children at Lighthouse were. Though they didn't have much- each a bunk bed in a small cottage with a few classrooms and a great big dirt terrace outside- they seemed very happy and easy going. Plus, they all had wonderful english thanks to other volunteers and their school. Even the three year olds!


We had such a good time playing with these little guys and I really hope to go back some day to give even more.



His name, so he tells me, is Bit. So I nicknamed him "Lil Bit." He is a future rap star of Cambodia, look out world. Check the video below!


No comments: