Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Busan or Bust!


We made it through 8 days of orientation and were so anxious on Friday to finally get down to Busan. After loading our luggage into a truck and receiving our training certificates, we got on the bus and made the six hour drive across the entire country of Korea. I have to say, I was very impressed with EPIK during the orientation week- they kept us well fed, gave us great accomodations, and gave us a lot of useful information about teaching and what to expect in the year ahead. The only downside was that they treated it a little too much like camp and tried to make activities at night so we couldn't go out...of course that didn't work.

Anyway, we finally arrived in Busan on Friday evening to the Busan Department of Education. I was excited and nervous, but my one and only fear was that my apartment wouldn't be ready and I would have to go live with my Korean co-teacher. Sure enough, when I met my co-teacher, she said "You come to live with me for few days!" She later explained that she wanted me to choose my own place so that I would be happy, which I greatly appreciate, BUT 5 days later and I'm still living with her! She has a really nice big place and I have my own room, but I'm ready to have my own place like all of my friends here. Its in my contract that I receive an apartment, and we haven't even looked at any yet! She is sooo nice though, and is responsible for everything having to do with me, so I know if I complain, she'll get in trouble and I don't want that. So, I'm waiting it out a little longer. I've learned quickly that patience and being positive are the keys to having a good time in Korea.

On a brighter note, I started teaching today at Gumseung Elementary and it was amazing! I had four sixth grade classes and they all went so well. I started by introducing myself and having the kids find Connecticut on a map of the world, and then find all of the other places that I've traveled. I then put pictures of my friends and family on a projector screen and had them asking me questions. They were so enthusiastic! Then we did an exercise about vacation, which is the first unit I'm teaching. Also, my school administration seem to really like me. Everyone calls me "beautiful Laura" (they love the "western" look) and they seem very supportive. Yesterday, I had to go on the morning broadcast and say hi to the whole school, that was hilarious.

I have another elementary school which I'll be going to on Thursdays and Fridays. It is up the mountain in a rural village, so it should be a really interesting and hopefully rewarding experience.

OK, I'm off, I have pictures of my first weekend in Busan, which I will put up as soon as I can! It's difficult not having wireless yet. Miss you all!

No comments: