Thursday, September 25, 2008

Korean schools, oriental medicine and more...

Hmmm, what to say this week??? I can't think of a specific topic for today, so I'll just talk about a few of the things that happened in my week. Overall, my job is going very well and I'm definitely in a routine. I'm still a little stressed about creating lessons for my second school (where I teach on my own) because they always tell me to do one thing and then change it in the middle of class! I think it's just something I have to get used to about Korea...they don't usually stick to any sort of schedule or plan!

So, earlier in the week I was feeling pretty sick. I could barely sleep for three nights and my stomach was not doing well. I'm pretty sure it was some spicy bibimbap I ate or just all of the chilli flakes that are in kimchi, but regardless, it was not good! I told my co-teacher at my first school because she is really into oriental medicine and seems to have a cure for everything. For instance, when I get bug bites, she puts tiny little bandages with aluminum points in them to make the bites stop itching. It works! So I told her about my lack of sleep and stomach problems. She explained how the two are related and she also suggested I turn my head around to face south when I sleep, "to be better in tune with the magnetism of the earth." So, I thought she would just give me some friendly advice, maybe stick a bandaid on me, but instead she told me to follow her to the nurses office. When we got there she laid me down, and asked if I'd ever had accupuncture before! I said no, and she proceeded to take out her accupunture kit! Now, I know you're probably thinking I'm crazy if I let her do it, but I completely trust this woman and I know she has done it on many people ( and yes, the needles were new and sterile!) So, she did accupunture on my hands, in the pressure points for the stomach and liver. I probably had 50 needs in my hands! And then she told me to just lay there in the bed, where any student could have walked in and seen! It was a little uncomfortable, but I stayed for twenty minutes and then she tooked them out and we went to class. Three days later I am feeling better, but I'm not sure that the accupuncture did anything. The foreigners here have a little saying that sums up that experience..."welcome to Korea!"

Well other than that, my first school had sports day which is the same as American field day, only a lot crazier. Not only do they do something like 30 different races, they also perform traditional korean dances and music for the entire day. It's quite a sight. I was only there for the rehearsal day (another full day off from school to practice for the actual thing), but it was still great to be there. I'll post some pictures soon!

This should be another great weekend. There is a block party right down the street from my apartment where all of the bars will have live music and free food. It's only$15 for 6 drinks and a pass for the whole night. I'm really looking forward to meeting a bunch of foreigners AND koreans. Should be a blast! On Sunday, we are hiking up to the oldest temple in the city called Beomsa Temple. It's over 1,000 years old. Looking forward to it. Next weekend is another holiday, so I'll be traveling somewhere, not sure yet! I'll keep you posted :)

No comments: