Sunday, June 21, 2009

The "F" Word

Lately, all of my friends in Korea seem to be using the "F" word a lot, and it's really starting to get to me. It seems like every time we get together, people can't stop saying it. So I'm sorry that I skipped a week of writing, it's just been difficult to reflect on what I've been doing here, when I'm constantly bombarded with that annoying "F" word: future. Wait- what did you think I meant?

Though I am still having a great time in Korea, playing in volleyball tournaments, enjoying the beach and starting to wrap up classes for the semester, I'm also spending a lot of time planning. Some of it is really exciting and some of it I would rather not be thinking about just yet.

The exciting news is that Alexis and I have booked an adventure trip in India for the first leg of our post-Korea backpacking trip! Sooooo excited! We'll be going on a 20-day tour of India with the same company I went sailing with in Greece. They are called GAP Adventures and I highly recommend them to anyone who wants to have an active, cultural experience and meet lots of cool people while your doing it. And thanks to my friend Jon who works for GAP and got a good discount, the trip won't break the bank. Anyway, we'll be flying to Delhi on August 30th, then touring to many different cities in Rajasthan- Jaipur, Udaipur, Pushkar- then to see the Taj Mahal in Agra and finally to the longest continually inhabited city in the world, Varanasi. It's going to be an incredible experience, full of good food, culture and people. And there's no need to worry about us; we're preparing to get all of our vaccinations, insurance, and we will be in the hands of a very reputable tour company. I can't wait!


GAP Adventures, Roam India Tour

(http://www.gapadventures.com/)



After India, we'll be heading to Thailand for my second visit and Alexis' first. We'll spend time in Bangkok, then travel to Sukothaini in the north, and then head to the island of Koh Chang for some R&R which I'm sure will be much needed after 25 days with our backpacks. After Thailand, off to see Angor Wat, one of the seven wonders of the world, in Cambodia and then to Ho Chi Minh City (formerly Saigon) in Vietnam. That will be around October 10th, and Lex will head home while I plan to stay a little bit longer. Possibly have some more friends meeting up with me there, but if not, I'll be doing a 2-week UNESCO volunteer project in the Sapa Valley region of Northern Vietnam, teaching English. It's going to be the adventure of a lifetime!!
Alright, I'll write more about the "F" word in blogs to come, but for now I'm just going to focus on enjoying the present. I'm sure after I leave Korea, I will really miss it! There are many exciting events coming up, so I will have a lot to write about again soon. Next weekend, I'm going on a rafting and camping trip in the Gangwon-do province, about 4 hours north of here. We will also be touring the DMZ (so long as their are no security issues with the evil step brother, you know who). The following weekend is the 4th of July and we'll be camping and bonfire-ing on a beach near Busan. After that, it's the biggest weekend of the year for foreigners in Korea, and it just so happens to be my birthday! It's the Boryeong Mud Festival and thousands of people go to this beach and get covered in mud, and party it up for the weekend. It's going to be one hell of a birthday!

"Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why they call it the present."
- comic on Nan's fridge, thanks!

No comments: