Monday, June 29, 2009

Insanely awesome weekend

This weekend, I went on a trip with Adventure Korea, an adventure tour company for foreigners. On the itinerary was rafting, camping, visiting the DMZ and bungee jumping (but this was an option that only a few people decided to participate in)...do you think I took the plunge? Read on to find out...

We left early on Saturday morning, and after a long 7-hour bus ride up the coast of eastern Korea, we finally arrived at the Hantan river for our rafting trip. Most of us have rafted some pretty serious rivers back home, so when we saw the calm, un-intimidating river, we were less than impressed. But, we made the most of the trip, singing songs, starting water fights and stopping every twenty minutes to splash around on the shore and make slip and slides out of our rafts. Despite the lack of serious white water, we had a great time. After hiking a ways up to our buses, we washed off and headed to bungee jumping site.



We were a little behind schedule as we pulled onto the bridge where the bungee jump was, so the guide (his name is Young) told us that half of the people who wanted to go would go that night and half would go the next morning. I was relieved because I really wanted to do it, but I was way too freaked out to do it then, and I thought having a night to get up my courage would be helpful. Yet, just as the first group got off the bus, Young changed the plans. "How about everyone who wants to bungee gets off now? If we can fit everyone tonight, we won't have to come back tomorrow. But if we can't fit everyone, then we will come back." Great!! It was now or never, so I got off the bus, but at that point I really didn't believe I was going to do it that night.




To jump or not to jump?



Hilary canon balled it...and scared the crap out of us all!



Best pic of the weekend


I waited on the bridge, as the bravest of the group climbed up to the platform which jutted out above us. As the first few people took the plunge, I watched nervously as they fell almost 200 feet from the bungee platform. Person after person screamed with the thrill of the jump, which made my heart pound even harder! After about an hour, they told us it was time for the second group. It was going faster than they had anticipated and we would be finishing everyone tonight. Now I was really, really nervous! A couple of girls backed down because they just weren't ready, but I knew I HAD to do it, or I would always regret it. When I got up the platform, I became so nervous and nauseous that I thought I could throw up. On top of that, I hadn't had a chance to use the bathroom, so I was nearly positive I would pee my pants when I jumped! The bungee guys looked at my paper work and got me rigged into the ankle cuffs that would be keeping me from falling to my doom. Though I couldn't believe I would feel safe with just some stuff around my ankles, it was surprisingly sturdy and I knew it would be ok. Finally, after about 30 minutes of waiting so nervously, it was my turn.


I'm committed...peace out y'all!



moment of truth


Before I knew it, I was ushered to the edge of the platform and the bungee guy hooked me up to the cord and checked that I was all secure. I waved to my friends down at the bottom and took a deep breath. I still couldn't believe I was doing it! I hobbled to the edge of the platform and the guy said, "OK, you go on 4...1, 2, 3." "Wait!!" I screamed. I thought at that moment that I could turn around, but the thought quickly passed because I knew I was going to do it. "PIGHTING!!!" I yelled, the korean's way of saying "let's go kick some butt." Again, the guy began to count. This time, I went on 4. I bent my knees and dove out head first, falling for what seemed longer than it was. As I got close to the water, the cord caught and shot me back up, where I hovered weightless for a moment. I screamed and screamed and screamed, and then swore a little, but it was the best adrenaline rush I've ever experience.I was soooo happy I did it. The hardest part was all of the anticipation and then the moment before I actually jumped, but once I did it was insanely exhilarating. So yea, I can't say I won't be doing that again! ...and I didn't pee my pants either!


It's a little blurry, but that's meeee


After the bungeeing was finished, we headed to a Korean guesthouse where we were served a delicious traditional meal. We got settled into our rooms (which were both cozy and bug infested) and then enjoyed drinking, talking and singing around a bonfire for the rest of the night. At about 1 a.m. our guide took us out to play the "bravery game." The guest house we were staying at was only about a mile from the DMZ, so just by walking across the street and up a big hill, you can view the lights of the North Korean watch towers. Doing it at one o'clock in the morning makes it "bravery." It was fun, but I don't think it took a whole lot of courage.

Bonfire



Showing off my guitar skillz


The next day we actually went to the DMZ. We passed through the secure military zone and were not allowed to take any pictures (though at that point we were still on the South Korea side). The only point when we were actually in the de-militarized zone (neutral territory which is technically both countries) was when we went about a mile down into the 2nd Infiltration Tunnel. This is one of the four tunnels that was dug by North Koreans during the Korean War to invade South Korea. We walked through the tunnel for about 30 minutes until we reached the point where it was closed off, and I was happy to turn around as it was very creepy and claustrophobic down there! We went to several other areas of the DMZ, but that was by far the coolest.


Under the DMZ


North Korea did not build this for 6 foot American girls



Soldiers outside of the tunnel



Mountains of North Korea



Awesome pic of the DMZ gate, my friend Steph took this


It was an incredible, exhilarating weekend. Though I know I can't go jumping off of bridges or tunneling into communist countries every weekend, I certainly want to keep up the excitement. This weekend we're camping on a beach for the 4th of July and heading to the Mud Festival next weekend. As usual, can't wait!

No comments: