Monday, July 6, 2009

Laura Teach-uh!

So for those of you who haven't heard yet, I've decided that I want to become a teacher when I go home. Although I didn't think much of it the first half of the year and then had really tough second semester, which made me question it even more, a number of things made me change my mind.

The first thing was that throughout my time in Korea, I have really loved teaching and felt more right about it than any other job I've had. Though I talked about a lot of the problems I was having, I realized that they all had to do with the language barrier and subsequent miscommunication, which was aggrevated further by the lack of support from my school. Now that I have solved all the miscommunication problems, I feel that I am truly teaching, rather than standing up and putting on a show. And I love it! I have found ways to excite and motivate my students, and I think I have genuinely made a difference to them, and it feels so great.

Thinking about my values and goals in life, I've finally come to terms with a lot of things about who I am and who I'm not; I've realized I'm not competitive (in the business sense), don't care about making millions of dollars, don't want to work for a corporation, and I can't stand cubicles and staring at computers for 8 hours at a time. But I DO love being active, taking on challenges, working with young people, inspiring them, and making a real difference in lives daily. Teaching is a no brainer for me then, right? Although I resisted teaching for a long time (for the wrong reasons), I really think now that it's what I need to do with my life. So my plan next year is to apply to a number of different fellowship and graduate school programs to get my Masters in Education.

Now, on the note of inspiration and making a difference... you've probably already heard of the incredible Mr. B and his PS22 Chorus, because if you haven't then you must be living under a rock! Just kidding. But seriously, Mr. B is a music teacher in Staten Island who has done wonders with his students, the PS22 Chorus, inspiring them through music and making them famous on youtube for their amazing musical talent. It just goes to show how a passionate, inspiring teacher can truly make a profound difference. If I can make 1/100th of the difference that he has made, I'll feel successful.

PS22 Chorus, singing "Landslide":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2p5augniQA

And check out the Mr. B's blog: http://ps22chorus.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Laura,

I think that's a fantastic decision. I've been following your blog since you first shared it with me via Facebook, and have often wondered if you would take the route of teaching. Your passion, dedication and progress speak volumes, and have inspired me to follow in your footsteps. Come this Winter I'll be Asia bound! I'm not entirely sure where I'll end up quite yet, but EPIK is a strong contender on my list. Thanks for sharing your journey :)

Best,
Ian W

Unknown said...

Hey Laura,

I was glad to see you at the Bexco exhibition this weekend. Living and working in korea has made me a better person and I thought hard as ell about my purpose. I really feel that you got your calling to become a teacher because of this valuable experience and your realization of your passion. And I am really glad to have you as one of the first friends I met in Busan! Thanks for cheering us up on this journey :)